Tuesday, May 5, 2009

WA 8 Draft 1

I began college with the misconception that it was all about academic. I guess when you go to a school not known for their academics that notion should go down the drain. Their pledge for excellence winked its eye at me as soon as I walked through that wide open, Iron Gate. At that point all I could do was smile. What a joke, the grounds were covered by gaudy baseball caps and blonde bimbos walking around with their paisley skirts. What had I gotten myself into?
I walked through sorority row on the way to my dorm. Signs were everywhere for rush. I stumbled upon this interesting house which I could not imagine belonging to the white collar, prepsters skipping around. It was brick, with chipped paint and missing shudders. They had signs for everything but rush. “Come play chess on Saturdays at 8 P.M.”, “Math tutoring after hours Wednesday”, “Frederick for President!” I was stopped in my tracks. Left, mouth open, starring at this awesomely odd house.
I wandered in to see what was inside. There were big white archways and oak doors down a long corridor. A brown haired girl emerged from behind one of those doors. She was wearing a cotton pink sweater with a green v-neck shirt and white Capri’s. Her smile was incredibly wide, her teeth as white as snow. “Welcome to the sorority we have been expecting you,” she exclaimed excitedly. I was surprised to hear that, but I just kept walking through. The girl took me downstairs from the main level. The cement rooms created a chilly atmosphere, this while situation threw me a little.
Six hands touched me on my shoulders. They lead me into a really dark room with bright red lights. The next thing I knew, extremely dark glasses were wrapped across my eye creating an opaque screen. I heard a switch flip and I my whole body went numb.
I could only see out of my eyes and hear through my ears. My feet would not move nor would the rest of my body. A brunette stood on top of a bucket and started yelling commands. “Walk over to the heads of the sororities!”, “Get down on one knee and bow to them!” “This is where you belong and you will never leave us until we say that we are done with you. You will strive to complete every task and no disappoint us in anyway!” By her use of you, I realized there were other people in the room. We did as we were told but I found that I could not do anything outside of the instructions. Was I brain washed?
I was hung up on one thing that she said. “This is where you belong.” That information was so confusing because how did she know I belonged here? How did she know who I was? We all were forced to walk under a metal bar. After I walked under it, they turned on all the lights. I didn’t remember why I was there. All I remembered was what the head of the sorority had told me. “This is where you belong!” I did not know what to do. I guess that this really was where I belonged.

No comments: