Tuesday, March 24, 2009

WA 7 Draft 1

The sun came bursting through my window in unison with the bird chirping, the ingredients for a lovely day. May was upon us, sweeping us off of our feet. I woke with a start and skipped over to get dressed. I has teen group at 10 o’clock and could not be late. My mom thought that it would be important for me to join because we were new to town. Didn’t she think I could make my own friends without being forced into awkward situations? I left the house after a quick bite to eat and jogged down to my church.
“Gather around people, sit down, stop talking,” said the supervisor, Ms. Bean, “Today we will be going on a scavenger hunt around town.” Lovely, what a wonderful way to spend my day. We split up into teams organized by colors. I happened to be on the green team with absolutely no one I was familiar with. Cameras were dispersed among team leaders for documentation and report time was 1 PM sharp. We sprinted out of the heavy brown doors and bolted for our first task.
We had successfully completed our first four tasks. They were all fairly easy to accomplish. After we has completed the fourth assignment, the instructions told our team to follow the hamilton pathway down to the creek running under my neighborhood. I had never been down here before and quite frankly was excited. Their were signs lining the path to watch for sharp objects and loose tree limbs, apparently this area is not well kept.
When we reached the creek, a big cement bridge guided us to the other side, a more scavenger hunt friendly side. We walked down the steps from the bridge to a cement slab bordering the creek. The important part of our assignment was to get a picture of the bridge and the graffiti littering it. How intriguing this art was. Besides the words “fatty” and “fat” covering up what was behind it, I wondered how people learned to do such creatively stimulating pieces. Does graffiti actually require skill? Oh no! Another team sprang up behind us and were on the move. We took the picture and quick-stepped up the stairs. Only two more tasks ahead.
We were all done, so we started back to church. The counselors were going around to look at our pictures occupying our cameras. We came to the picture depicting task 5, the bridge. Much to the embarrassment of our counselor, we actually ended up capturing his father taking a picture of the graffiti.

1 comment:

Ms. Wiesner said...

Is there only one bird chirping?

Fix this: "I has teen group at 10 o’clock and could not be late."

Why the "had" in this sentence, " We had successfully completed our first four tasks."

The story ends abruptly. It is like you got to the point in your snapshot and thought, okay I'm done.